No doubt—millions love working from home. They relish the hours they save on commuting. They love not having a lunch every day, and they cherish the chance to work in their jammy-jams.
But millions more struggle to maintain a manageable work-life balance. With distractions aplenty, many find it difficult to stay focused and productive.
If you’re one of them, this post is for you. Here are 5 tips to make your teleworking life a little easier.
1. Choose a Consistent Work AreaCarving out a dedicated workspace offers fewer distractions and can help you keep focused. Of course, a dedicated office is ideal, but since many people are short on space, other favorable areas include:
- • Hallway desks
- • Kitchen countertops
- • Dining room table
- • Patio tables and chairs (weather permitting)
The idea here is to find one or two suitable working areas that accommodate your specific needs the best.
2. Make Time for MovementIf the weather permits, go outside!
Schedule in time for movement breaks and take in the fresh air you need to rejuvenate your mind and body. Simple actions like 10 minutes of light stretching, a short walk, or simply just sitting in the sun to enjoy your lunch can make a big difference to your overall health, energy level, and mood.
If going outside isn’t the right option for you, consider turning on some music and moving around your space in a way that works for you.
Whether you are sitting or standing, moving your body helps refocus your mind and increases productivity.
3. Maintain a Regular ScheduleKeeping regular working hours helps you keep your work and home life from blending together. A well-maintained schedule also allows you to plan for upcoming deadlines, social activities, and more.
4. Personalize Your SpaceSometimes working in a dedicated office puts a damper on what types of decorations we can use to customize our environment.
Working from home is a game-changer in this area. While it is vital to incorporate items that help you relax and get into your best working rhythm, it’s also crucial to avoid clutter.
Depending on the space you have available, select just a few of your most loved items. Some of our personal favorites include:
- • Succulent plants
- • Scented candles
- • Photos of pets, family, and friends
- • Awards and certificates of achievement
- • Massage pads for your chair
- • Blanket
- • A fan or space heater
5. Ergonomics Matters at HomeErgonomics is the art of incorporating wellness and productivity into workstation design with the goal of improving your health, contentment, and ability to concentrate on the task at hand.
- • Use an office chair where possible
- • Support your lower back
- • Adjust your chair height
- • Make sure your feet are firmly planted and are not dangling
- • Change the lighting to suit your needs
- • Drink plenty of liquids
Did we miss something you couldn’t work from home without? We want to know! Leave your tips in the comments below.
Working from home has its fair share of challenges. But you can’t deny the perks. Ditching the commute, not having to pack a lunch, working at your own pace—it all adds up to a much more livable, enjoyable work experience.
As a fully remote digital marketing company, LinkNow’s always on the lookout for top talent to join its growing team. If you’re looking for a full-time position where you can work from the comfort of your home, check out our Jobs page to see what opportunities are currently available.